A History of Burthey Funeral Service
 

Burthey Funeral Service was founded in 1947 by Grover C. Burthey, Sr. Burthey was a graduate of West Virginia State College where he majored in art. He was a gifted artist and sculptor and taught Art at Hillside High School in Durham, NC while starting this business on Fayetteville Street in Durham. His skills as an artist uniquely established Burthey as an embalmer who could restore a deceased loved one to a life-like appearance. Families were especially comforted by the vision of their loved one asleep and at peace.


Burthey provided exceptionally professional service to the family of the deceased. In order to reflect his professionalism, Burthey and his directors wore ‘day formal’ attire on funeral services complete with cut-away tuxedo tails, hickory stripe pants, formal shirts and ascots that lent a classic look to his services. Burthey knew that his families were special and highly respected, deserving of the finest quality.

The funeral home at 1510 Fayetteville Street in Durham, NC, in the heart of the community, has remained at that location since 1947 and has undergone many renovations over the years. The most extensive expansion occurred in 1984 when a new chapel, Burthey Funeral Chapel, was added and a new stone facade covered the building.


In 1975, Grover C. Burthey, Jr. became a licensed embalmer and funeral director. He is a graduate of Duke University and UNC School of Law and is also an attorney. In 1986, Pamela Monk Burthey became a licensed funeral director. She is a graduate of Spelman College. In 1996, Burthey Sr. turned the day-to-day management of the business over to Pam and Grover Jr.. Now, in its second generation, Burthey Funeral Service has been able to maintain and grow to serve a new generation with new demands. The reputation for excellence continues under the embalming and restorative art expertise of Grover C. Burthey Jr. and the funeral arranging and directing expertise of Pamela Monk Burthey.